Great Reasons to Eat More Eggs


There are 101 ways to cook chicken eggs, but how many eggs are too many for one person? That is one of the most asked questions about eggs. The good news is that eggs are some of the most nutritious and healthy types of food out there. On top of that, they are also affordable and can be cooked in just a few minutes. Here are some of the benefits of eating more eggs as well as scientific facts about these natural protein packs.

--- ADVERTISEMENT ---
--- ADVERTISEMENT ---

Nutritional Content and Health Benefits

Eggs are packed with minerals and vitamins such as vitamins A and B-12, which are important for a healthy diet. They are also an excellent source of protein. One egg can contain 75 calories, 5 grams of fat, as much as 7 grams of protein, and 1.6 grams of saturated fat. Eggs are also rich in iron, selenium, and carotenoids such as lutein.

All these nutrients and minerals make eggs very, very healthy. The protein in eggs is important for building strong muscles. It also helps delay the rate at which these muscles are lost. Eating eggs also improves brain health. The vitamins and minerals in eggs are important for brain cell health and important functions and systems such as metabolism, memory, and the nervous system.

It’s not just brain cells that can benefit from more eggs; the vitamins and minerals in eggs help facilitate energy production in all the cells of the body. Eggs also boost the immune system, thanks to vitamin A, vitamin B-12, and selenium.

Heart disease is a major cause of death, but eggs help to lower the risk. Choline in eggs helps to break down the amino acid homocysteine, which is connected to the development of heart disease. For pregnant women, nutrients in eggs help promote healthy pregnancies and prevent conditions such as spina bifida.

Eggs also contain lutein and zeaxanthin that improve eyesight. They do this by preventing macular degeneration, which causes age-related blindness. Eggs are also filling and have high-quality protein. This can help those who are looking to lose weight or maintain their current weight. Eating more eggs can also improve the skin because the vitamins and minerals contained in eggs prevent tissue breakdown and strengthen the immune system.

Concerns and Scientific Studies Involving Eggs

Some of the concerns raised about eggs include the cholesterol content in the yolks. In fact, an egg is roughly 9% fat. Cholesterol is needed in the body for functions such as hormone production. Cholesterol is typically produced in the liver, but when cholesterol-rich foods such as egg yolks are consumed, the liver produces less cholesterol to compensate. Too much cholesterol has been linked with health conditions such as heart disease.

Because of all these factors, some experts have recommended that people reduce their egg yolk intake to 2-6 yolks per week. There are mixed responses and results from science to back up these reductions. Eating eggs daily is considered healthy and safe by most.

One of the studies conducted to look at the effects of eating eggs on cholesterol levels produced some interesting results. A group was divided into two, with half eating egg substitutes, and the other eating 1-3 eggs daily. It was found that the level of HDL cholesterol, the good kind, went up in most cases. The level of LDL cholesterol, or the bad kind, did not change much, although it rose slightly in some cases. In fact, in 70% of the people in the study, eating eggs did not affect their level of LDL cholesterol. This led to the conclusion that the effects of eggs on LDL cholesterol levels depends on the individual. The remaining 30% were labeled as hyper-responders and experienced a slight increase in their LDL cholesterol levels.

--- ADVERTISEMENT ---
Editor's Picks

reset password

Back to
log in